Wednesday, April 14, 2010

A look back on our first week!! By Susie and Mary



Mary with some of the orphans at Jambo Jipya


We’ve been working with four different schools since we started our volunteer program a week ago. We didn’t know what to expect as we were introduced to the students at each school. We were there to be teachers, but we also received an education of our own from the children. Here are some of our thoughts and reflections from our experiences with each school.


Irene, one of the children at Jambo Jipya showing us her latest artwork.


Jambo Jipya:

Jambo Jipya School and Orphanage is one of the newest partners to be working with GVI in Mombasa. We worked most extensively at Jambo Jipya in our first week at the Mombasa project. I had thought that working at an orphanage would be depressing. I was wrong. As soon as we stepped into the gates of Jambo Jipya, we were greeted by 50 clambering children, all smiles and eager to meet us. I had forgotten how simple friendship is, especially for children. Each time we entered Jambo Jipya, the children greeted us with big smiles, hugs and high fives. On one of the days, we had a sports day in the field. I walked with a young girl named Faith. She asked me how many siblings I have. I replied, ‘I have a big brother and sister. I’m the youngest. What about you?’ As soon as I said it, I wanted to kick myself. How would an orphan answer such a question? Without missing a beat, she extended her arms and replied, ‘These are all my brothers and sisters.’ I smiled at her and she smiled back. She was kind, bright, happy, and truly inspiring.


Susie with the children at Jambo Jipya


The Dump School: (Mary)

We met the children at the “Dump school” at the end of our first week. As there was no school during this week, some children had come anyway and had brought their infant siblings with them, whom they appeared to look after. The children had so little, their clothes were tattered, ill-fitting and dirty. Initially they seemed a little withdrawn and weary of us however once we began playing games with them, the children were smiling and laughing, and clearly enjoyed the interaction. This school had the least resources but it is also where GVI can hopefully make a huge impact.


Olives School: (Susie)

The children were on holiday so they had half-days at school. Olives is located in Bombolulu, a slum within walking distance from our volunteer house. On our first day there, we observed classes taught by GVI volunteers and school staff so that we could see the classroom dynamics and plan our own lessons for teaching in the following days. I assisted with standards 1 and 2—reviewing subjects from the annual standard exams. Tomorrow, I’ll be putting my acting chops to use in the drama club meeting with the children!



The school playground at Olives!!


Precious Vision School: (Mary)

We went to see the children in Precious Vision School this week. The children were just coming back from holidays. I worked with children in standard 3, reading them stories, explaining different words and drawing pictures with them. The children in Precious vision were so attentive to everything I said, they were happy and eager to learn and participate. I really enjoyed working with these children. As soon as I handed paper and colouring pencils to the children, they instantly became focused in drawing various items. They seemed very appreciative of these materials and took great pride in showing me their completed pictures.


A gathering of children at Precious Vision school.




Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: