Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Judgement Day- John's smooth fundraising experience!!

One last look at the hairy wonders!!


Hello, I'm John, an ex-volunteer from back in August/September. After seeing first hand what an amazing difference the GVI team are making out in Mombasa I felt I needed to help more myself. Unfortunately my student loan would not stretch enough to send me out there again. So me along with three other friends at Keele Uni (Laurence, Stephen and Ian) decided to do the only thing we could . . . wax our body parts for money!




It doesn't phase Ian......NOT!!


It is one month ago (2nd March 2010) that 'judgement day' took place and I’ve only just healed enough to look at my back. I don't mind saying, the pain was tremendous - I don't know how women can take this! What made this even more horrible was that we ran out of the wax strips after only the first guy Laurence had been waxed, so the rest of us had to use a hot wax pot. Having been told of how painful this was, you can't blame us for indulging in a few stiff drinks beforehand!



John getting his back waxed smooth, ow the pain!!



John's fist few strips!!



Stephen looking smooth, not much hair left now!!

However, I am glad to say that we all came through relatively unharmed except for many sore patches, and being unable to shower properly for a few days without screaming like little girls. So far, we have raised £323.50 which was a lot more than any of us expected and we still have people who have promised to donate in the future. Despite the pain, it was definitely well worth it, if it can help to make a difference.

John 2009


If you wish to fundraise or donate to the Mombasa Project here's the link to our Just Giving page. Every penny counts and greatly appreciated. Trust me it's definitely worth it!!


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: