Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Friendships, fun and games at Jambo Jipya

I remember the first time I headed to Jambo Jipya School and Orphanage. As we entered the school compound the general feeling amongst all of us volunteers was that of anxiety and curiosity.

However these feelings soon dissipated when I discovered the boys playing football (soccer) in the yard. I already knew there would be a slight language barrier that would stop us communicating fluently but we were all thinking about the same thing……….FOOTBALL!!


Two of the boys from Jambo Jipya


I approached the boys and asked to play, they happily welcomed me to join their game. From that moment on our race, language and socio-economical differences meant nothing as long as we were all united by one common ground.


Volunteers and children both in deep concentration over a game of cards


After the first visit at Jambo Jipya School and Orphanage I felt I already had built a special bond with those boys. From then on every time we greet one another we divulge ourselves into conversation about the sporting world.


Our first trip to the field!!


We take trips to the field where we partake in full field football games. Our relationship has developed and we often converse about other pressing issues such as their academic level and of course their competence at Draughts (Checkers) the board game. The most recent hype of discussion has been the upcoming Draughts (Checkers) tournament, to decipher who is the “Champion” of Draughts (Checkers).


Volunteer Michelle taking on a game of draughts


In the future I hope to develop an even greater rapport with the children at Jambo Jipya, where we can communicate freely and understand one another better.

However, I think I have established a consensus that sport is a language that everyone can understand.


Orphan Ravine playing with his artistic creation


Benjamin 2010


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: