Thursday, September 2, 2010

Pirates Day at Olives

It would be impossible to say what’s been my best day in Kenya but Pirates Day with Standard 2 at Olives Rehabilitation Centre was absolutely brilliant!

 I decided it would be nice to have a themed day, covering all subjects but relating them to the same theme. A previous volunteer had left a Pirate colouring book which provided me with inspiration. I got to school early and hung Pirate flags around the classroom and put on an eye patch (much to the children’s amusement). The minute they saw the flags they were excited as they knew we were not having a usual day, not that any day at Olives is ‘usual’!


Classroom decorated with Pirate Flags

We started by learning all about Pirates: where they live, what they do and that they all have parrots called Polly. When I asked what treasure they would search for all the children cried in unison “sweets”. I made a Pirate word search for the children to complete which they loved! Word searches are great because as well as being educational you get about 6 minutes of peace before you hear “Madam I can’t find Hook” or “Kelvin’s copying!” J  

The children love to make things and they were all very keen to become Pirates! So next we made eye patches and flags. They wanted to make eye patches first which I think hindered the flag making somewhat! On one side of their flag they drew a Pirate picture, such as a skull and crossbones and then on the other side a Kenyan flag. Give any child in Standard 2 a piece of paper and a pencil and you will end up with a Kenyan flag, very patriotic!


All ready with our flags and eye patches

Finally everyone had an eye patch and a flag (not an easy task I can tell you!) And it was time to learn a Sea Shanty I had composed,

“Oh it’s a Pirates life for me

“With a bottle of coke, and fish in my tum

It’s a Pirates life for me”

Very original! Somehow from my dodgy impression they all learnt how to do a Pirate accent! It was so funny to hear them put on the gruffest voice they could manage and shout “Ahoy me hearties”! I think there must have been some very sore throats that evening, I know mine was!

Gavin, Catherine and Craig, some of the other volunteers, had bought over a whole suitcase of instruments which was fantastic! The children can make a rhythm from a ruler and a desk so you can imagine what they achieved with drums, tambourines, maracas etc. We managed to make a tune for the shanty and had the whole class up singing and dancing. The children have so much energy and make you feel so alive! They found my dancing very amusing and did not understand why I couldn’t wiggle my bum properly or move my top half and bottom half separately. I told them my name was ‘Madam Jacqueline’ not ‘Madam Shakira’!

After break the children found a glass bottle in the corner of the classroom containing a treasure map. This was a Pirate themed version of the playground I had drawn, such as ‘Pirates washroom’ instead of ‘Toilets’. In another they found some clues. So we all got into a line wearing our eye patches and waving our flags, ready to set off on our treasure hunt. The children were so excited and listened intently to the clues, “walk 4 steps to the left”. Once we had reached the spot they all ran around searching for the treasure. When I heard a huge cheer I knew they had found the chest (tupperware box covered in red crepe paper and gold stars)!



Standard 2 and GVI volunteer, Jacqs, on the treasure hunt at Olives

Inside the chest there were magic beans which needed to be put in water to grow, so we all ran back to the classroom where a bowl full of water was waiting. I have never seen the children so captivated, all gathered round the bowl waiting for the beans to grow. One by one the beans turned into sponge safari animals and I heard cries of “madam it’s a Rhino!”, “madam look a Giraffe!” It was such a great moment!


Standard 2 watching the beans grow!

After all the animals had appeared we gathered up all the instruments and special Pirate blowers and headed out into the playground. It was amazing to see the children making music, dancing and singing and grinning from ear to ear! I had so much fun dancing around with the children, and felt so lucky to be there!

Pirate day was a great success and one which I will remember forever. I would definitely recommend doing theme days to other volunteers. I have found there is nothing more rewarding than teaching these fantastic children and the excitement and fun of Pirate day was priceless! 

Jacqs, August 2010

 

 


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: