Monday, August 30, 2010

Being a long-term volunteer

I came to Kenya at the beginning of April, excited and apprehensive about being a volunteer with GVI. Now nearly 6months later I have just finished my last day as a volunteer teacher in Precious Vision; the school where I was based. I have absolutely loved my time here. 

Morning Assembly at Precious Vision

Being a "long term" volunteer has meant that I have been lucky enough to witness first hand the progress and improvements in the school. When I began my classroom was outside on the front steps of the school, my blackboard was on the concrete floor. The children did not get any food in school and most came in and went home hungry. In the past few months we have moved into a much better school, I have my own classroom with an actual blackboard!!! The feeding programme has been initiated which means that the children get a hot meal every day.


Mary's last lunch at Precious

These improvements have made a huge difference to the children, however the biggest change I have seen is in the children themselves. When I began a few of the oldest girls in my class were unable to read more than a few words and were always too embarrassed to try. Now they will pick up books in class and start reading on their own without being prompted to do so. They are now reading basic level books. I cannot explain how proud I am of these pupils and how excited I get when they can read a sentence or a paragraph further than they could have the previous week.


Standard 3 at Precious, the class Mary taught for 6 months

The changes within Precious have not just been academic, I have also seen children progress on an emotional level. One boy in my class refused to engage in any classes during my first month here. He rarely responded to questions and would sometimes curl himself into a ball on the floor and rock back and forth. That boy has changed completely; he now participates in all classes, he laughs and smiles and does the most amazing drawings. He is always eager to read and talk with me. This makes me incredibly happy, I am so very proud of this boy. Being here long term has allowed me to really get to know him and each child in my class, to find out what they are good at, what they need help with and how to deal with them. I realised that this particular boy needed me to keep trying with him, to continue to involve him in the class and encourage him to participate. Once he realised that I was not giving up on him he slowly, very slowly began to let his barriers down and he has become an engaging, friendly child. Seeing these changes make me happier than I can ever describe!


Standard 5 on a school trip to the Butterfly Farm

I feel honoured and privileged to have been part of Precious Vision. To see how far the school and the children have come in the past six months has been amazing. These kids have found a place in my heart, I have completely fallen in love with all of them. Despite having so little they will offer me some of their food at lunch time, they will share shoes with one another during play time, they will fight and shout at each other and at the same time help each other out.

For those of you thinking of coming here long term, you will have the most amazing, inspiring time of your life. Soak up all the days you have with the children, as the time will fly, and I'm sure you'll find yourself as I do, wishing you were here for longer!

GVI Volunteer, Mary, with Emanuel, Omari and Asha from Precious Vision
Mary, August 2010


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: