Wednesday, September 15, 2010

God bless you x100

So after a week of living in the GVI house and working with standard 4 at Precious Vision Centre in Mombasa, I already felt like the luckiest girl in the world. The children are true to their name ‘precious’, the most animated and genuine beings on this planet, they know not of lying or of greed, they know only of laughter and childish banter (which fortunately is my area of expertise.) We have enjoyed a week of teaching surrounding the topic of ‘cities and time zones’ which has informed me that the children are incredibly passionate about Kenya (particularly the flag, of which 4 were produced by one boy Kelvin!) 

Gideon, from Standard 5, playing the harmonica

However a new week has now rolled around inevitably fast and pleasantly began with my 20thbirthday! Far from being sad about being absent from my family I found myself excited to be with my new Kenyan and GVI family! The school day began with chants of ‘happy birthday to you…” and a lesson about the ‘big five safari animals” of which we established a kangaroo was not one (thanks madam Leigh.) This was then interrupted by an influx of birthday cards from standard 5, which are the most imaginative cards I have ever received, my personal favorite featuring a picture of a fire breathing lion, a squirrel and Jesus. 


One of the boys from Kindergarten at Precious, learning how to play the tambourine

However the climax of the whole day was the afternoon, all of the volunteers had planned a music afternoon together and were eager to get all the children involved. We planned to teach the kids the music and lyrics to ‘the grand old duke of York’ and ‘heavenly father’ (a song they sing during morning parade) so we split up in to teams of maracas, recorders, bells and singers. We each taught the kids the beat and the lyrics so they could perform together, however when they were reunited with each other in the schoolyard the result was absolute mayhem! The noise emitted was audible from Nairobi and the smiling faces could be seen from space! 

The older girls at Precious enjoying a "song and dance"

After the music ‘performance’ we all went inside to play a good old-fashioned game of musical statues, to the tuneful sounds of Michael Jackson’s ‘thriller’. The kids, especially the young ones were insanely happy! It was such a joy to see and be part of, and just shows how the smallest effort goes such a long way!

To end the day the older girls initiated a song and dance that thanked all the volunteers and welcomed them back to Precious, it was really lovely (even though the girls were so embarrassed) to feel so involved in the school and with the kids.

Helen dancing with Brenda from Standard 5

So to begin I said I felt like I was the luckiest girl in the world, after turning 20 and celebrating this day with the most incredible kids of the planet I know I am the luckiest woman.

Adios Helen

Helen, September 2010


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: