Thursday, September 30, 2010

Life at Precious Vision Centre in Mombasa, an ambassadors experience


Volunteering in Africa is very different from volunteering in India, but my time with the India program gave me an idea of what to expect back out in the field. It's a challenge to come out to a program to be a complete beginner with the culture, the language and the general environment. I was worried I might not fall in love with Africa the way I did with India, but the children here have won me over.


GVI volunteer, Rachel on the right, with fellow volunteers Mary and Paul under a bilbao tree in Bombolulu 

Earlier this year, I was was going out to career fairs with the Ambassador prorgam in Sydney and was inspired to ship out for six months volunteering on a career break, and so far I have not regretted a minute.

My goal while I am here is to complete reading age and literacy testing for children from 
Standard 1-Standard 5, at Precious Vision. This builds on the work from previous staff and volunteers who tested the reading age and . literacy of all children at Olives. This in turn has created a base for a new reading support program that will help children with their reading skills.


Children from Precious Vision Centre where Rachel is teaching

I am also teaching creative arts and music, accross the standards, taking Standard 5 for english and occasionally filling on occasion for the formidable (but very lovable) Standard 1 class.
It's nice to be back in the classroom. Funnily enough, my first job was as a volunteer teacher with street kids in Australia, teaching creative arts programs and creative writing programs for children who had been abused.


Rachel with Madam Jane, headteacher at Precious, and one of the babies at the school

Now, I'm back in a similar role doing things that make me truly happy. The days are long, hot and dusty, and work with the children can be incredibly challenging. There are many moments here though that make the challenges worthwhile.

Rachel, October 2010

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: