Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Through my eyes – HIV/AIDS education at Olives:

Two very short weeks have come to an end, and as a Volunteer at Olives Rehabilitation Centre School, the time has come for me to share with you my amazing experience.

When I first arrived in Mombasa it was everything I had expected and more. Arriving with no teaching experience to the house with other volunteers, I quickly realized that what is important to the children is not what you know, but how you take the time to teach them.

The project I was assigned to was being a volunteer teacher for Standard or Year 5 level. Olives is a small school located in a slum area of Bombolulu, nearby to where our accommodation was located. Although the children do not see their lives as difficult, school is a safe haven that provides an educational escape away from poverty and a challenging life.

School ground at Olives Rehabilitation Centre

Coming in to a class like Standard Five with Nursing experience, I had the task of not only teaching the children English and Creative Arts lessons, but also the importance of HIV and AIDS which is such a prominent issue in their homeland. My aim was to inform the children of what exactly HIV and AIDS is, how it can be transmitted and how such a disease can be prevented. Providing health education I believe in felt so rewarding as it is not something that they are easily accessible to.

GVI volunteer, Alex, teaching HIV/AIDS awareness to her class

Bullet points on How to prevent AIDS

Once the children were taught the concepts of HIV and AIDS, they were tested on their knowledge. It was good to see that the children were interacting with myself as their teacher and with their classmates by discussing the issues of, and understanding the concepts of the disease. I am proud to say that they all passed! J

Standard 5 pupil, Captain, writing on the board

By being a volunteer, I have finally realized my dream of working with children in Africa. I think the challenge was not how to teach the children (as they are all extremely intelligent) but an awakening to myself to see something so different to the norm back at home.

GVI volunteer, Alex, teaching Standard 5 HIV/AIDS awareness

As well as the wonderful work I have met some amazing people and friends who all help this project become a home away from home. The staff and other Volunteers are a very friendly and helpful group of people.

Alex and fellow volunteers before a night out

I believe that education is a powerful tool and it is in my vision for the future that the more health education there is, this will lead to a better future for the people.

Michael from Standard 5 writing down points on HIV/Aids awareness

Lastly, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and enjoyed being able to incorporate my nursing experience into teaching. It is true that one person can make a difference and I do hope I will be back one day, as I now follow the futures of twenty two young intelligent beings - “my children”.

Alex, July 2010


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: