Thursday, July 22, 2010

Future Ambitions

I have always wanted to be a doctor, the reasons for this ambition being many. But coming to Kenya to this project with GVI in Mombasa has increased that list of reasons, and given me, if possible, further ambition and drive to succeed.

Being in Africa and meeting people with completely different lives to me has made me realise so much more all the privileges that I am so lucky to have in life. It has given me a new perspective.

I am so pleased and happy that I decided to do this project - teaching at Olives Rehabilitation Centre in Bombolulu - and glad that I could give my time, knowledge and effort. But now I want to give so much more!

GVI volunteer, Shelley, giving a reading class to Standard 3 at Olives

I have seen with my own eyes the need that there is for free medical care and check-ups for the children and, no doubt, their families and the rest of the villagers, and it has made me view my future career in a different light.

Shelley  in the playground with children from Olives

When I become qualified as a doctor, I want to do all that I can to help the people that need it most, and use my education – that I am so privileged to have received – in the most valuable way.

This experience has changed me, definitely for the better, and has opened my eyes to all that I could do as a doctor in underprivileged countries.

Shelley with Margaret from Standard 3

As well as all this, I have had the best time of my life, made some amazing friends from all over the world and met the most incredible children who I have fallen in love with.

Shelley and fellow volunteers dressed up for a night out

The day I leave will be a sad day but I cannot wait to do another project with GVI, whether that be in Kenya or somewhere else around the world!

Shelley, July 2010


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: