Monday, July 5, 2010

My time as a volunteer in Mombasa

First Impressions:

I had never been to Kenya before and I was very excited. One of the first things I realized was how different Kenya was from England, and I must admit that I was a bit nervous in the beginning, but then I realized how friendly the people in Kenya were and how supportive my new GVI family was. It was amazing and I loved it!

When we came to the school Precious Vision for the first time and the head teacher Madam Jane came out and welcomed us all, I already felt at home and that my coming to Precious Vision was much appreciated. 

Volunteers at Precious Vision with Madam Jane 

In the break, the other volunteers and myself met the children. They all wanted to play and acted as if they had known us all their lives! My nervousness had been unnecessary and I was even more excited and happy.

The city Mombasa is big but the first weekend of my arrival in Kenya my new GVI staff took me and the other new volunteers into the city centre and taught us all the tricks on how to navigate Mombasa. It is an amazing and vibrant city!

The well known Tusks of Mombasa city, a gift from Queen Elizabeth II in 1952

Teaching:

My friend Hannah and I were given standard 1, who are a lively bunch of amazing kids! We had to start from the beginning, as only a few know how to read and write, but I had never met any other children who were so willing to learn and do well. 

GVI volunteer, Helle, with her Standard 1 Class

They were amazing and the support from my GVI family was astonishing. The first three days were challenging and there was a lot of new information to take in, but after that all the children loved Hannah and me and we loved them back.

Helle and two of her Standard 1 children, Moustafa and Winnie

The End:      

My three weeks are now over, and I am really sad to go. I wish I could stay longer. This has been an experience for life, and I will miss all the children and the people I have met.  Everybody takes care of each other, and I have made many new friends. 

Helle and the other GVI volunteers enjoying a drink on a night out

I gave a little bit of myself and got so much in return.  I will never ever forget this wonderful experience, and I will miss the children and my new family a lot when I return to England. 

Helle, July 2010


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: