Thursday, July 22, 2010

Breakthrough

Teaching a student how to read is possibly my most difficult and most rewarding task as a GVI teacher at Olives Rehabilitation Centre.  Every day I prompt four children to read two-letter words while watching as they struggle to remember that the letter W makes a “wuh” sound.

Michael from Standard 2 sounding out the alphabet

Today I taught Mbodze how to say the sounds associated with the letters S, A, T, and P. Then I wrote the word “tap” on her paper and waited in suspense as she slowly sounded out the word.  After a few tries, she hesitantly told me the word.  Next she repeated it with more confidence.

Beaming from ear to ear, I told her to draw a picture to show that she understood the meaning of the word. After doing so, she shyly looked up and offered me the biggest smile that I have ever seen!

GVI volunteer, Ashley, with two of her students, Judy and Mbodze 

I was so excited that I almost started crying. I’ve put so much effort into helping these children read, and every second of it has been worth it because of that smile.

Ashley's class, Standard 2

 Out of all my good memories of my six weeks here in Kenya, this is the moment that I want to always remember.

Ashley, July 2010


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: