Saturday, January 15, 2011

Reflections from our long term volunteer, Michelle

I came here in the beginning of February I always wanted to be a teacher when I was younger but unfortunately it did not happen. Many years later I was looking into volunteer work and found the Mombasa project, it answered all my dreams working with and teaching children. Well I can tell you the whole experiences as been more than I could have every imagined or hoped it would be.


Isaac from Standard 2, Precious Vision learning to read with myself

I have been lucky to work on all three projects; I began teaching at Olives, then did some art work for Jambo Jipya plus day visits including trips out and then spent the last 6 months teaching at Precious Vision.

While working at the schools I had the honour to meet the three amazing people who started these projects. Their strong faith and belief that all things can be achieved if you have hope will stay with me forever. Between them they have changed the lives of 650 children and many more in the coming future. Their stories would make Oscar winning movies.

I have been here nearly twelve months and it’s been life changing. I do not think how every long you stay you will feel it’s been long enough, but whether you come for two weeks or 12 months, believe me you will be making a difference.

Every volunteer I have had the privileged to work with on these projects has made a difference and so can you.

Volunteer, Ros reading with Olives children

When I first came I soon realised that poverty did not mean that these children were not happy. I have also learnt that poverty does not mean that you do not have the right to a good education.

I thought that in the beginning teaching them the basic’s would be enough and because they came from poor backgrounds that was all I could do. But the more time I spent with these children I began to realise that’s not enough, these children need to know what is out there, the jobs and the careers that they can choose from and that they can become whatever they want to be, everything and anything is possible they just need people like you to teach them, help them and believe in them. Their home lives are not a reason for them not to be challenged to become the best they can be.

Volunteer, Alex teaching at Olives

I have just finished painting Precious Visions school logo on the wall and underneath I have written “Education is the key that opens many doors “I now know and understand how true that is, especially in this country.

What can I say about the children .Well that’s exactly what they are children sometimes….. Good, naughty, cheeky, loving and most important full of the potential to learn.

Fellow long term volunteer, Mary teaching ST 3 at Precious Vision

I would like to thank all the staff members who work so hard to make this project succeed, you made this experience one of the most memorable things I have ever done. I know you all believe so strongly that its thanks to all the volunteers who choose this project that makes it so successful , but you are the glue that holds it all together and I am honoured to call you my friends .


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: