Monday, January 31, 2011

My classroom

This morning I walked into my classroom. My classroom.

For the past two weeks I have been teaching Standard Five at Precious Vision Care Centre, I walked in and felt like I was exactly where I was supposed to be.

I knew what I was teaching, in what order, and how best to explain it. I knew all the kids inside and out, who would pick up the information instantly, and who would need extra help. I knew the routine, my fellow teachers, and the school. I had somehow miraculously found my feet.



Today I had the task of trying to explain to a student what the word the meant (which even I barely know). Administer basic first aid to three students who had hurt themselves in the playground as well as manage to keep my whole class attentive and obedient for the whole day.

I arrived in Mombasa with absolutely no teaching experience, and therefore had no idea what I was doing. On my first day I was really nervous, the second only slightly less nervous. So it was a relief to feel some sense of control and ease within the classroom.


I’ve got two more weeks in Mombasa teaching, and I know there is a lot more for me to learn. But all the staff and other volunteers here are so supportive that it is not long until you feel as good as I did this morning.

Sophie B
Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: