Thursday, December 6, 2012

Sports time at Nyota Ing'arayo

 Come on lets play ball...
 
For four weeks now I have been a Sports volunteer on the GVI Mombasa teaching project.  As my title suggests I have been heavily involved with all aspects of Sports at Nyota Ing’arayo School.


I conducted sports classes for Standard 7 right down to Standard 1.  With the older children I managed to get them involved in a whole manner of different sports, football being their favourite of course!  However, I did succeed in teaching them the proper rules and even gave out a few yellow and red cards.  With the younger children sports became more like playtime as we raced against each other and learnt some new games. 
 

However, when I arrived in Mombasa I discovered that as well as my Sports classes I was also able to teach some English if I wanted… I jumped at the chance and was in charge of the rowdy Standard 4’s English lessons for the whole of my stay. 

Overall, I feel privileged to have been able to meet and get to know as many of the children as I did through their love of sports!


By Matt Page

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: