Tuesday, July 26, 2011

The soil moment

After drilling the topic of 'Soil' into the minds of Standard four at Olives, I was actually dreading having to recap on the topic during a double Science lesson. It was at the end of the day and keeping their attention in the last lessons of the day is every teachers worst nightmare I imagine, let alone for a nurse attempting to teach 51 very active 11 to 13 year old children!

As expected, the students were bored and did not want to listen, work or even pretend to be doing so. I was not impressed as I even found it hard to be enthusiastic about such a topic! I did mention I was disappointed in them at the end of the day.

The next morning, I had double English to begin my day with them. Well,was I in for a shock! Little did I know coming to school that I was about to come upon what I would have to say was one of the best moments in my life.

The 'Naughty Nine', as I refer to them in my head, had gone all out to please me. They had arrived at school very early, brought some soil with them along with planks of wood and rocks to build a Science corner. They had planted beans, maize seeds, tomato plants and flowers. They had irrigated it 'Kenyan Style' with a jerry can of water. They also made a plaque on the wall explaining their project. They also washed the floor of the classroom before I arrived for lessons.

The 'Naught Nine 'with their Soil corner
This was completely unexpected and so generous and thoughtful of them. When I arrived I clapped, cried and danced with joy which resulted in them clapping, cheering and singing. The entire class were happy and there was a beaming smile across each of their faces. Who would have thought that the topic of 'Soil' would make a person so happy!

Madam Libby signing the plaque made by the Standard four ''farmers'

So now, my Standard four "farmers" have convinced me that they are so caring, amazing, wonderful, beautiful and truly special kids. If anyone wants to experience pure joy, this is the place to be.

Madam Libby with Standard four



-GVI volunteer, Libby

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: