Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Home Again

Aoife and Muriel first came to the Mombasa project in June 2010 to spend eight weeks working with disadvantaged children in the local communities. Muriel was placed in Olives Rehabilitation Center in Bombolulu and Aoife in Precious Vision in Shauri Yako. Muriel and Aoife both had a wonderful experience and became very attached to the schools and the children at large. For the moment they got home they knew they wanted to make a return as soon as possible. Both jumped at the chance to come back as staff co-ordinators in their consecutive schools.


Muriel, Leigh and Aoife July 2010

"From the moment we touched ground in Mombasa, I was itching to see the children so the next morning, I was up at the crack of dawn rearing to go! I went in early to make the morning assembly. As I walked up to the gate, I could hear them singing at assembly and my heart skipped a beat. I walked in the gate and I could see a few heads turn around in shock at a familiar face. It was such a surreal feeling, I was filled with excitement. When assembly was over, the class that I had taught last year, now standard four, all came up to me and hugged me chanting "Welcome back Madam Muriel!" It was awesome! I couldn't get over the changes in the school. The veranda was lovely, the numbers of the students had majorly increased and the new classrooms made such a difference. I felt like I was back home and all the children and the teachers were so welcoming. It is amazing to be back, I never want to go home. I am loving what I am doing everyday and I look forward to the early starts and hard work. I feel so honored to have a place on the Mombasa project doing something that I have been dreaming of for such a long time. Hakuna matata rafikis!" (Muriel)


Olives children June 2011


"Walking into Precious again was one of the those moments I will never forget. I decided to walk to school by myself that day to take in the ambiance of the village. As I was approaching Precious I saw of the children who double took and screamed "Madam Aoife" I was shocked he had remembered my name and he smiled uncontrollable. When I meet my standard they were so surprised to see me again but happy. Madam Jane (The Headmistress) threw me in the air and I was so happy to see her again. Although Precious has come on leaps and bounds and there are lots of new faces, things in Kenya are the same as always. I love the vivacious vibrancy of it all and it feels good to be home again. I love seeing the children everyday and their progression in a few months is outstanding. Being back feels surreal and I appreciate every moment." (Aoife)


Precious children

Aoife and Muriel are now settled into there new roles within their schools and experience everyday like its there last.



Aoife and Muriel - July 2011

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: