Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Amazing Kenya

“You can’t live a perfect day without doing something for someone who will never be able to repay you” – John Wooden.


When I first decided to participate in the Mombasa based GVI program I thought to myself “what a wonderful opportunity to teach disadvantaged children in Kenya. Little did I know the program would act in reverse and I would find myself the one who would be taught by these amazing students. Yes, I have taught students who will never be able to repay me materially, but these children have taught me a lesson which I will never be able to thank them enough for. They have taught me another side to laugh, one without material value, but just to be happy with the smaller things in laugh. These children don’t have wealth, in fact many could be considered the poorest of the poor, but everyday I still see their beaming white smiles, I hear there laughs and the happiness of these children is more reward for doing this program then I would ever have expected.






Volunteer Emily with a Precious Student


A Day in Standard Two.
“Habari Asubuchi darasa mbili” I call to my class, this small Swahili introduction I have learnt symbolizes the beginning of my class. However I will be yet to teach for another 10 minutes as the students continue to argue over whom will hand out the work books and try to find their pencils. Although often it is challenging to teach English and other subjects to the children it is very rewarding, and the one moment when they suddenly understand is an amazing feeling.

The children of precious are very creative during my time at precious I have introduced them to paper masche , making objects out of clay and a lot of painting. However in most activities they choose to do it their way whether it means playing with the balloons of the paper masche or painting their faces instead of the paper put in front of them. During one of my creative arts lessons their musical talent became quite evident when the entire class without being prompted began to bust out to the rhythm of “waka, waka Africa” by Shakira. As I stood there in shock my students danced on desks and began shaking their hips to the music. The majority of these kids have more musical talent then I will ever have.

That is a very brief example of a few of the many wonderful moments I have had with my Standard Two class at precious, but I assure you I have enough amazing times with them to write a book.
No words can explain the past 4 weeks teaching at Precious. This has truly been the most rewarding experience of my life so far.


Volunteer Emily with Standard 2


Emily July 2011


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: