Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Controlling a lesson

Before I began my programme at Olives Rehabilitation Centre, the one thing I was worried about was not being able to discipline the children. At home, I tend to avoid situations where I have to stand up for myself and I also find it hard to say no. I was not sure if I would be able to handle a big class, especially one of 35 children against just one or two volunteers - EEEK! To my surprise, I found it quite easy to control the class.

Madam Muriel disciplining Mourine, Iminza and Beatrice who had been late for their English class

My fellow volunteer - and teacher - Shelley and I did a good job at keeping the peace. We do 30 seconds of silence and start the count again each time someone is disruptive. It comes naturally, telling them to keep quiet and warning them individually, despite the evil eyes you get afterwards!

GVI volunteers Muriel and Shelley talking to one of their pupils, Salama.

I'm so excited with each day that comes. It has only been two days of teaching and my confidence has been hugely boosted.

Madam Muriel teaching Standard 3 about Adjectives

Madam Muriel and her pupil, Margaret, sharing a joke

Bring on the next 8 weeks!

Lydia from Standard 3 circling the adjective “purple” in a word search

Muriel, June 2010


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: