Saturday, July 14, 2012

My Experience of Volunteer Teaching in Mombasa

I have just finished my two weeks of volunteering with children in Mombasa with GVI, and I have had the most amazing time!


During my time here I have been assigned my own class, where I teach English, Reading, Creatove Arts and PE with another GVI volunteer.  I have also been helping out with the younger classes for Phonics lessons for 35 minutes each day.
Bubble blowing during Phonics class.

I am currently studying Maths at University so I was thrilled when GVI told me that I could use my own skills to do extra activities at school.  Throughout my time I tutored a group of 7 older students for additional Maths lesson, to help them excel in their upcoming examinations.  I was also involved in Group Reading lessons, where I took out some children to help them with their English and reading skills.  All the children are lovely and I’m going to miss them so much!
A Group Reading lesson with attentive students (and one class clown).

Not only was I able to help out with the academic side of school, I was also able to take part in the counselling classes after the school day.  I answered the questions, alongside a Kenyan teacher, that the children posed about health, hygiene and puberty.  Another activity I was interested in getting involved with during my time with GVI was the adult community classes.  These are optional for the GVI volunteers and I decided to help out with the computer lessons which took place after school.
However, it wasn’t all work: I was able to spend my free weekend on safari at Tsavo East National Park.  I also toured Mombasa on my first weekend with GVI.  I visited local bars and restaurants in the evenings, went to the beach and had plenty of free time at the house to get to know my fellow volunteers. 

The volunteers on a weekend trip to Watamu.
Overall it was an amazing, rewarding experience and I would recommend it to anyone!

Samantha Stovold – GVI Volunteer (2 weeks)

Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: