Thursday, February 10, 2011

My experience, by volunteer Anna Marie

As I finished up my final week here in Mombasa, Kenya I cannot help but think about how absolutely amazing this experience has been. The kids are incredible, even though I had some rough days trying to teach them. On the good days I would go home with a feeling of accomplishment and excitement. Of course there were days that went completely wrong. Such as smoke from the outside kitchen stove covering my classroom. An ants nest being destroyed mid class and then having thousands of ants all over the desks and chairs. But at the end of the day I would go home and say, “Wow! I made it through”.


I feel that the best part of this experience has been the volunteers, and the GVI staff have been amazing. I felt like I had a new family immediately. I got sick during my second week, and the GVI staff at this project treated me like I was their family. They constantly checked in on me, drove me to a health clinic and really made me feel cared for. This project is amazing!!


Anna Marie


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: