Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Just do it!

To anyone thinking of coming to Mombasa to join this GVI project, I have three words; “Just do it!” It doesn’t matter what your experience or background is. You are needed here and will have the experience of a lifetime. You’ve probably heard it all before but you will get so much more out of the project than what you give.


I’m three weeks into my six week project and have loved every minute, including the challenges and frustrations, but mostly the laughter and the pleasure of doing my little bit to help develop these amazing children.

Every day is different and starts with the walk through the village to get to the school. Being greeted along the route, by all the friendly locals; from mums, dads, kids, goats, cows and chickens. Then there is the anticipation of what awaits me behind the walls of my Standard 4 classroom at Olives Rehabilitation Centre.

Every day I receive little notes from different students and I never know whether to laugh or cry, as they open up to me. Their honesty is incredible.


Being a member of the GVI volunteer team is also a great part of the whole experience and there is always someone to share a laugh or a story with. So pick up your sense of humor, your sun screen and a travel diary and come on over.

by Dianne


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: