Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Teaching standard 3!!

Volunteering in Africa with children has been a dream of mine since I was twelve years old. When I first stepped off the plane into Mombasa, I was apprehensive yet ecstatic about what experiences awaited me. I was immediately put at ease as other GVI volunteers and the staff welcomed me warmly into the Mombasa house.


Students at Olives Rehabilitation Centre


My first day in the classroom at Olives Rehabilitation Centre I was excited and nervous. I felt like a celebrity as my Standard 3 class swarmed around me; grabbing my hands, and asking me questions about Canada. I took the kids out to play games, and was astounded that so many of their games (i.e. Chinese Whispers) were games I played when I was young. I realized that children everywhere just want to play!


Volunteer Emily having fun with her class


For our first creative arts lesson, Christine and I handed out colourful plasticine to our students and they went berserk! They were joyous to have something for themselves, as they have few possessions.

As the weeks rolled on, I learned more about each of my students and their talents. In each of them I see great potential. Some are born actors, dancers, and many have dreams of becoming teachers or doctors. I always encourage them to work hard, dream big, and never give up.





Standard 3 can be a challenging group to teach because there are so many of them, with varying abilities. They have tried my patience several times over the weeks, yet I am so grateful I was chosen to be their teacher. I’ve learned patience, compassion, how to bandage wounds, how to discipline the little devils in my class, and so much more. I am so thankful I’ve had this experience and Olives Rehabilitation Centre will forever hold a part of my heart.



The latest head gear!!


Emily 2010


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: