Wednesday, May 19, 2010

A glimpse into life on the Mombasa Project

You would think going half way across the world on a whim to teach students in Africa would be the most challenging thing ever. However, once you are actually in Mombasa you instantly fall in love with the city. You soon wish you had booked to stay longer on the Mombasa project.


Looking out onto the beach by Fort Jesus in Mombasa


During my two days of travels to get to Mombasa I was extremely nervous and wondered what it would be like; the children, my lodgings, my fellow volunteers, the food, almost everything!

When I arrived at my hotel in Mombasa I met some of the other volunteers who were also about to join the Mombasa Project. With a really diverse group ranging from all ages (17-60) and backgrounds (England, Canadian to Australia) everyone brings something unique to the team. It’s quite interesting listening to the debates such as which accent is better, the Canadian vs English. All the volunteers are incredibly supportive, friendly and this is definitely a great way to make friends from all over the world!

After two days of training we have been allocated to either Olives Rehabilitation Centre or Precious Vision School where we have begun teaching.

I was chosen to teach standard 5 at Olives. The class ranges from 10-15 year old students. Teaching at Olives is a complete blessing. As soon as I stepped into the school yard a young boy named Daniel grab my hand and gave me the biggest smile.


Olives students playing at break time


The children are extremely excited about new volunteers, especially those with cameras! Several of us had brought our cameras and the children just loved it! They wanted us to take their pictures and when we showed them the pictures they’d point out which one they were and tell us all their names. When you see the smiles on these children you’ll realise that coming here was definitely the right choice. It’s impossible to understand what these children have gone through, yet with all that goes in their home-life these children come to school with smiles and a passion to learn.


Some of our volunteers and Olives students shading under the playground tree.


I am so amazed at how smart these children are. They whizzed through the first lesson I planned; a complete opposite of what I was expecting!! There’s a chalkboard for you to write on and most of these students don’t have any textbooks, but all they need is an exercise book and a pencil and they’re ready to learn!

Besides teaching, I was surprised that Mombasa has an fantastic cinemax, better than back home even! Food here is amazing and of course very cheap ($5 for the best burgers and fries)! We have running water and electricity and the accommodations were far better than I had ever imagined, we even have wifi at the house!

Mombasa really is the most beautiful city with white sand beaches and blue skies, nothing like you would ever have imagined. Prepare to be amazed!


A group of volunteers take a trip to Fort Jesus.


Lani 2010


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: