Thursday, October 22, 2009

Where to begin! My first day at Olives

When we arrived at Olives Rehabilitation Centre we were met by Michael and Steven founders of the school. Steven then proceeded to take us into each class where we introduced ourselves as Madame Hannah, Madame Louise and Madame Elly. Finally I had arrived at Olives Rehabilitation Centre!

Being at the school today was a trip down memory lane, things I had completely forgotten about came flooding back – children still want to be the one to go and write on the blackboard jumping up and down begging to be the one to do so, the bell ringing for break and lunch, having to stand up and greet the teacher, not being allowed to sit down until you are told to, having to write in your exercise book, asking permission to go to the loo. When child number 3 in a row asked to go to the loo, I found myself turning into one of my teachers “Yes you may but you need to wait for one of the other children to come back”.


Head teacher Michael introduces the class to the new volunteers ("Madam Louise and Madam Hannah")


My class is Kindergarden 3, not quite obedient but not completely disobedient either! So far I’ve worked out who is the brain box of the class (Susan) and who is the troublemaker (so far Alex but there are a few contenders). What I haven’t worked out yet is how I am going to keep them engaged in all their lessons. It is surprising tough, yet an exciting challenge to make lessons fun but also educational.


Teacher David supports fresh volunteers in the classroom on their first day


As I was getting ready to leave, I heard voices from one of the classrooms “Madame Louise, Madame Louise”. I went to go and investigate – Standard 2 were busy doing their homework but were eager to chat to me. Already I was beginning to feel at home. I don’t know if I am going to be any good at teaching but I do know that I am going to have fun finding out! . If all fails, I’ll ask them to sing me a song. That was probably my favourite part – listening, watching and taking part. I’m hoping by the end of my time here I too will the “African” rhythm!


- Louise Elard


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: