Monday, October 26, 2009

I've landed in Mombasa!

I spent my first night in a hotel in Mombasa feeling very lonesome and uneasy but those feelings were soon evaporated when met with by the GVI staff and brought to our very comfortable base house. My first three days in Kenya unfolded as follows:

I experienced the streets of Mombasa on the back of a motorbike, which may I add is perfectly safe, wind running through my hair, taking in a completely new culture of sweet smells, dusty street shacks and of course the mysterious and happy faces of the native Kenyans, a very refreshing way to enjoy Kenya’s city life.

Each evening we went to a local bar overlooking the Indian Ocean, a little slice of paradise, and spent the day time walking along the beach, dipping our feet in the warm sea water. By the end of the weekend I felt very much contented.

After relaxing and reading at home on the Sunday evening I prepared for my first day of teaching at Olives Rehabilitation Centre in Bombolulu slum, a both exciting and nerve wrecking feeling. But what an amazing experience it was; I can’t quite express how happy I am I chose to join the daily lives of these children; striving for food and water yet smiling and energetic. My eyes welled up with both sadness and happiness watching them sing and dance holding such joy in their eyes, the majority seem happier than those at home. To help in anyway is such a privilege and those who established and have kept this place running throughout the years should feel very proud.


One of Hannah's students in Standard 1


Omar getting stuck into his school work

Teaching Mathematics, English and Science may sound daunting but it’s actually a fun and interesting challenge and I’d have to say the most enjoyable day I have yet experienced working. They are special people and well worth every minute of energy.


- Hannah Kelleher


Hannah's class, standard 1


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: