Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Continued support to Precious Vision School

HI, I’m Elly Singleton one of the Staff Members at The GVI Mombasa project. From our previous blogs you may have seen during the summer holidays we begun helping another Slum school, Precious Vision, alongside Olives Rehabilitation Centre.Since the holidays we have maintained our relationship with Precious Vision. Over the past few weeks I have been going to Precious Vision 2-3 times a week to teach basic English and Maths to some of the eager and hungry to learn children.

Students in the 'older' class, who Elly has been tutoring

Just in this short time I have already seen great improvements within the school and the kids themselves.The number of children attending has almost doubled to nearly 60 and the school is beginning to feel like a warm and welcoming place for these children to learn and play.

Students in the kindergarten class

The lessons I take, have been very rewarding. Just seeing the confidence of these children grow and their understanding of the subjects improve really makes me feel that I’m helping, and excites me as to what can be achieved. It has to be said there are still many struggles for Precious Vision. Almost completely lack of text books, resources and even a proper chalk board can prove challenging. But this never deters the children or myself.

Precious Vision students enjoy a meal made from food donated to teacher Jane. Providing lunches to children in the slum is the easiest way to lower drop-out rates.

I’m looking forward to seeing how Precious Vision will excel over the next few months, with the help of our Volunteers, Staff and all those willing to give a helping hand.

- Elly Singleton


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: