Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tumaini Children's Home sleepover

I have to say that the highlight so far for me was doing the nightshift at Tumaini Children’s Home, an HIV/AIDS orphanage. The children are loving, funny, welcoming and gorgeous! My presence seemed to cause them confusion; not a ‘mzungu’ (white person) but, as a Black African with an English accent, they struggled to place me in their micro-world. Many seemed bemused by my choice of attire (think MC Hammer-style harem trousers!?!) and my muscles; ‘nguvu’ (strong) was my new Kiswahili word du jour!


Tumaini kids enthralled over Ebun's muscles - "nguvu sana!"


A young resident treats us to some Micheal Jackon moves - the pyjama edition


I read them a story, prepared them for bed after serving their dinners and checked on them through the night. Stephen, a 2-year old HIV positive boy, woke up crying because he wet himself so I comforted him, changed him and stripped/remade his bed before diving back into bed in the boys’ dormitory for a fight with a few mosquitoes!



Ebun keeps the Tumaini kids entertained at story time



While Sara reads with the home's younger crowd


The morning shift meant preparing the girls for school by rubbing them top to toe in Vaseline after their showers, combing their hair and helping them to get dressed. Lots of washing up after 32 children have eaten each time, too!



Breakfast and dishes for 32 children... imagine!


The staff team is amazing. They work so hard to improve the lives of the children, often for little or no pay. Their commitment is so clear to see. The boss lady told me she loves watching Nigerian films. I must send her some when I get back to Hackney!

Ebunoluwa Olufunwa, UK Volunteer, 2009


Ebun and the youngest member of the Tumaini family


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: