Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Olympics at Olives

"Olive's Olympics"

A little bit of fun goes a long way..

As the year long term was coming to an end, all of the children at Olive's Rehabilitation Centre were ecstatic to end the year on a good note. The GVI staff along with the staff at Olive's decided to throw "Olive's Olympic" for the students to enjoy themselves with some fun times, laughter, and of course some good old fashion competition. 

I was honored to work with my partners on creating the races for the Olympics which included: “Spoon & Egg Race”, “Long Distance Race”, “Sac Race”, “Relay Race” “100m Race” and of course “Tug-of-War”. We divided the students up into 8 different teams. My team was “Team Zebra” which included several students I have in my Standard 4 class along with many from other standards that I have not met. 

When we got to the field in Bombolulu we all split up in to our groups in order to get started. I gave my team a pep talk about how it is important to try their hardest, regardless of winning or losing as long as they were enjoying themselves. Some of the students were as excited as I was to get started, but others not so much. 

The first race the Egg and Spoon race, I literally had to force my team to compete, no one wanted to participate because it was for “little kids”. I got 2 children to finally join they dreaded the fact that they had to compete in front of everyone while doing something they were not interested in. I talked them through it, and to my surprise one of my girls won first place! She was jumping up with joy and laughter while our entire team joined in. I have never seen so many gleeful smiles arise in a matter of 3 seconds. My team was now in full competition mode.


The girls during the Egg & Spoon race.

The boys getting ready to begin the Sac Race.

Race after race, Team Zebra was winning first place, second place, and third place; even if they didn’t place the kids would jump with joy running to me for appraisal. When it came to the relay race for the boys everyone wanted to join in. I picked 4 boys randomly with my eyes shut and sent them to the starting point. To my surprise, they won again! The boys ran to me across the field and one boy stated, “Mr. Brian, Mr. Brian! Did you see us? Did you see us? We won! We won!” with the biggest smile. I had a rush of emotions, this was a boy who I had just met today, I barely knew his name and he confided in me for appraisal. 


Team Zebra after winning a race, jumping up with joy!

When it came to the end of the Olympics, after Tug-of-War, which team Zebra won again, the teachers had a round of Tug-of-War as well. It was GVI staff vs. Olive’s staff, we were starting to get ready when all of the children gathered around wanting to help our side, we told them that it would be unfair to the other team, if they only helped one side. Of course after we began, all of the students ran to our side of the rope and started pulling as hard as they could. With the help of the children's muscles the GVI side won, again the children were jumping up and down with joy, excited that THEY won. 

Some of the children from Olive's playing Tug-of-War

At the end of the races, I gave my team a speech about how proud I was of them for participating and trying their best. The next morning I walked into my classroom to find this statement written on the chalkboard. 

Joseph, Patrick, Kelvin and Tonny, Four Standard 4 boys

The kids had so much fun with the Olympics and so did I, more than they will ever know. I feel gifted to say that I was apart of this experience and am honored to have an influence on these children. I am not only teaching my standard 4 class everyday, I am learning something every second of everyday from my class as well.

Brian, August 2010


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: