Sunday, August 9, 2009

Kindergarten class love at first sight for GVI volunteer

So, first day, I walk into a room packed full of the cutest nursery school kids you can imagine. I had the biggest smile on my face, but nowhere near as big as Martha’s (below).

Martha recieves her crown

In my best teacher voice, I say “Hello everybody”.

Without warning 47 children stand and say/sing “Good morning Madam. How are you Madam?”

I say “Oh, I’m fine thank you”. Typically British I know!!

Well, that was it; I fell, uncontrollably, absolutely, head over heels in love with my Kindergarten Class.

The days that followed were long and tiresome, as I battled to make these children happy and change their lives.

The children and Sheri-An with a "Congratulations Obama" kikoi

It took a few days for me to realise that actually the children were very happy. Loving, open and giving, with a willingness to learn that I have not experienced in ten years of working with children. Their strength and courage through all the adversity truly inspired me. Not one child ever complained. Not once!!

Sheri-An and the kids engrossed in a "how do you feel?" excersise

I thought I would be upset for these children, but actually I envy their acceptance of life and admire their perseverance.

I came here with a somewhat ignorant idea that I would change lives in 2 weeks. The beauty of this trip has been that they have changed my life forever.

The kindergarten class in their regalia


Oh! On this day (above) we made crowns. Ahh look at my African Kings and Queens!! Praise God!


- Sheri-An Davis



Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: