Wednesday, August 14, 2013

The students’ love for Creative Arts.

The students’ love for Creative Arts.


When I started teaching Creative Arts at Olives three weeks ago, I had no idea what to expect from the students. Would they hate my projects? Had the art projects I did as a child become outdated? My fears were completely unwarranted. 
 
Making and flying paper planes.....


The students, Standards One through Seven, have demonstrated an unparalleled excitement over projects as simple as drawing their families or creating envelopes for letters they wrote in English class.

The children love the creative arts lessons...
The love for Creative Arts at Olives has been truly inspiring. I walk to school in the morning and students run up to me to ask if I will be teaching their Standard today. Just last week, I taught Standards One and Two how to make Hand Turkeys, an American Elementary School pastime. The novelty of tracing one’s hand and turning it into an animal amazed the students. In subsequent classes over a week later, students are still tracing their hands and turning them into turkeys. I love the students’ excitement over getting supplies like coloured pencils and paper. You should see the way they covet white printer paper! 
 
Volunteers Molly and Alex with Standard 3

I only have one week left in Mombasa. I’m going to miss the students’ love for Creative Arts. Being able to encourage the students’ creativity has been one of the best experiences of my life.
The smiles say it all.....
By Molly Morley - Volunteer


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: