Monday, October 17, 2011

One to one time

As part of the teaching programme with GVI, we were assigned children from various standards to read with individually as they were usually quite weak in comparison to the other children in the standard. I was assigned four children aged between 5 and 7 years old. This was great because it meant I could interact and build a relationship with younger children than those in my class (who were between 10 and 12).


As much as I loved teaching my class, I really looked forward to the one on one time I had with my four children. I would take them out of their class and try find a quiet (ish) corner or step to read together. The children loved being taken out of class and having the special attention so I always got a really warm reception when they saw me at the door!


During the one to one time, I really built a great relationship with the children and over my time at Precious, I could begin to see some progress, albeit small. I loved seeing their reaction when I praised them for getting a word correct with which they had previously had difficulty. Their big toothie grins just made my day.

Before coming out to Kenya, I knew the children would be great and I was really looking forward to getting to know them but little did I know how great the children actually were or that I would completely fall in love with them.


The only negative part of my whole stay in Kenya was the thought of leaving the children in Precious (and the other volunteers of course!!). Nothing could have prepared me for all that I learned from them and the experience itself. It’s something that will stay with me always, or at least until I get to go back!

By Volunteer, Kate Carton


Share/Save/Bookmark

0 comments: